||Information about working at the GUC
The GUC is addressing highly qualified teaching staff from Germany, Egypt or
other countries who have spent part of their academic training or career in Germany.
Contracts are concluded with the GUC for the duration of three years with renewal perspective.
Salaries are dependent on academic qualifications and professional experience.
GUC is an equal opportunity employer.
Teaching loads for academic staff:
The total working hours are 42 hours per week; the teaching loads are as follows:
Teaching load is defined as hours spent in a lecture, tutorial or laboratory and does not include
the preparation time.
General requirements for academic applicants:
The rest of the working hours include all teaching-related tasks such as preparing the
study curriculum, processing and evaluating assignments, quizzes and exams, providing course manuscripts,
hand-outs and putting teaching and demonstration material on the GUC intranet. In addition, it includes research
as well as other university-administration, -development and –activities tasks like student counseling and
advising, office hours, committee assignments, invigilation of exams or any other academic or administrative
assignments given by the University Management.
The GUC is looking for highly qualified full time academic staff members who meet the following
Professors: Habilitation or PhD holders with a qualification equivalent to the “German
Habilitation” in the field of specialization; several years of experience in the academic field, an extensive
record of quality publications, a track record of leading research activities.
- Associate professors: PhD in the field of specialization, relevant teaching experience, a reasonable record
of quality publications, research interests.
- Excellent command of English language both spoken and written is an absolute must!
- High level of competence in designing and delivering lectures, seminars and tutorials
- Ability to foster and develop study and research skills amongst students
- Advanced computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.)
- Ability to cooperate effectively with colleagues and to work as part of a team to extend the university and establish new departments
- Commitment to work critically at the interface between research (which is being established gradually) and teaching, theory and practice
- Adaptable and flexible personality able to deal with both students and colleagues of different cultural background
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae with recent photo,
- Copies of academic degrees and transcripts,
- Statement of teaching interests (in few sentences please state the subjects you are interested in teaching
and your teaching method),
- Statement of research interest (in few sentences please state your research interests),
- List of courses taught,
- List of publications,
- Two professor references (name, title, postal and e-mail address, telephone number).
Interviews will take place in Ulm, Berlin or Stuttgart (Germany) or in Cairo (Egypt)– generally depending on the place of residence (i.e. candidates from Germany or other countries will be interviewed in Germany; candidates from Egypt will be interviewed in Cairo). The selected candidates will be contacted about two weeks before the interview takes place. Each candidate is asked to prepare a presentation about a topic of his/her choice related to his/her field of interest or research to be held in English.